This is EIS Wiki User Guides page.
All related materials go here, thanks.
- Anyone (including anonymous users) can make comments on EISWiki. To start, just click the Comment? link on the page.
- However, only registered users who are logged-in can Edit EISWIki.
Question: How to register with EISWiki?
Register your user account on EISWiki#
1. Click the Log in link on the top-right of the Main page.
2. Click Register with EISWiki now!
3. Input the information needed in the box and click
- Login name: user's account name.
- Set password: the user should choose one and keep it known only to themself. The password should be easy to remember as there is no way to recover it later if forgotten.
- Wiki name: the name that will appears on the page after user login.
- Full name: user's full name.
- E-mail address: user's e-mail address. This will be used by the EIS wiki to send a new password should the user forget their original password.
- Click the Create Your Profile button to register.
4. Once registration has been completed successfully, then go to the Login page to login.
- User enters their Login name and password and clicks the login button.
5. After logging in, the Edit will appear as a link on the page. Click it to start editing the EISWiki page.
Question: How to use the edit box?
1. Click the Edit link on the page to display the edit-box page.
2. There are 4 tabs and 3 buttons to help the user edit the page.
3. Click the Edit tab to edit page contents in the Edit-box
"Save": save changes made to the page.
"Preview": preview the page before saving it.
"Cancel": cancel all page edits. No changes will be made to the page.
- Use the 'Cancel' button rather than the browser's Back button to leave the Edit page, otherwise page changes won't be discarded!
- If the user attempts to edit a page which is being edited by someone else, a warning message will be displayed informing the user that the page is currently "locked". Don't worry, just take a break, have a cup of tea and try again later. The maximum locking time is 1 hour.
4. Clicking the Attach tab will allow the user to upload documents such as figure and text files to the page
Warning: There is a restriction on the type of files that can be uploaded to the EIS Wiki. Files types that are allowed include image, txt, zip, and IDL program files. The maximum file size allowed for upload is 1 MB.
5. Clicking the Info tab will provide the user with information about the current page, such as page history (version control), incoming and outgoing links to/from this page, etc. Earlier page versions can also be recovered from here.
6. Clicking the Help tab will display the Wiki (editing) Help page, which is useful in checking the Wiki editing syntax. The Help page is very useful, so please use it frequently!
7. The user has access to a number of editors.
The WikiWizard editor is powerful, but the plain editor is good enough to handle most editing needs. Users may have noticed there are a number of fast-editing tools located at the bottom of editing-box, just like those in OpenOffice or MS Office, and may prefer to use these.
- Change note bar: useful in helping the user keep the track of the page!
- Tool bar: nice tools to help the user easily edit page contents!
- Find/Replace bar: more information about this feature available on EditPageHelp
Question: How does Quick Navigation box work?
1. Moving the mouse-pointer over the Quick Navigation box, the user user will see 4 options displayed:
"Edit": works like the View link.
"Clone": works like the Edit link. The difference is that the Edit link is used to edit the existing wiki page, while Clone is used to make a copy (clone) of the current page and edit the new page.
"Find": is used to find EIS Wiki pages with a specific search string. The search string can be a Page Name, word or sentence anywhere on the page.
Question: How to start editing an EIS Wiki page?
- Simply use the Quick Navigation box to edit an existing page (with existing page name), or create a new page (new page name).
- Use Edit link on the page to edit an existing page.
- Create a link in any page, save it and then click that link to edit it.
- On your browser's address bar, use URL:
Question: How does User Preference work?
1. Click the Prefs link on the wiki page:
2. User Preferences setting window:
Warning: IE browser users are advised to select the "PlainVanilla" skin (the default) as problems have been noted when used with the other skins. Users of other browsers, however, are free to enjoy the different EIS Wiki styles.Firefox users should set their Desktop resolution to 1280x1024 for the best results.
Most other settings here are self-explanatory.
3. User Profile tab:
"Change Password": users can change their password using this tab. If a password has been forgotten, then please use the "Lost Password" link on the menu to the left. The user will receive an e-mail from EIS Wiki, containing a new random password. In order to use this feature, the user must enter their email address when registering with the EIS Wiki.