This is EIS Wiki User Guides page.
All related materials go here, thanks.
- Anyone (including anonymous user) can make comments on EISWiki. To start, just click Comment? link on the page.
- However, only registered user can Edit EISWIki , and user needs to login first before doing that.
Question: How to register with EISWiki?
Register your user account on EISWiki#
1. click Log in link on the top-right of Main page
2. click Register with EISWiki now!
3. input the information needed in the box and click
- Login name: your account name.
- Set password: please choose one and keep it known only by yourself. The password should be easy to remember as there is no way to recover your password later, if you forget it.
- Wiki name: the name appeared on the page after user login.
- Full name: your full name.
- E-mail address: leave your valid email address here for recovering your password.
- click Create Your Profile button to register
4. once your registration finish successfully, then you can go to Login page to login.
- input your Login name and password and click login button
5. After logged in, the Edit will appear as a link on the page, click it to start editing EISWiki page
Question: How to use edit box?
1. click Edit link on the page, you will see the page edit-box
2. There are 4 tabs and 3 buttons helping you to edit page.
3. Click Edit tab, you can ddit page contents in Edit-box
"Save": save your work to the page.
"Preview": preview the page before you save it
"Cancel": cancel your work. No changes will be made to the page
- using 'Cancel' button rather than your browser's Back button to leave Edit page, if you don't want to save your work to the page!
- When you are trying to edit the page which is being edited by someone else, you will meet a warning message to tell you that the page currently has been "locked". Don't worry, just take a break to have a cup of tean and come back to continue. The maximum locking time is 1 hour.
4. Click Attach tab, you can upload your documents such as figure, txt file to the page
warning: Not all type of files are allowed to upload to EIS Wiki. Such image, txt, zip, and IDL program files are normally ok to uploaded. The file size is maximum to 1 MB.
5. Click Info tab will tell you the infomation about this page, such as page history (version control), incoming and outgoing links to/from this page, etc. If you want to recover the page to previous version, do it here.
6. Anytime you click Help tab will bring you Wiki (editing) Help page. It is convenient to check the Wiki editing syntax. The help is very useful so please use it frequently!
7. You can choose your editor as you like.
The WikiWizard editor is powerful, but plain editor is good enough to handle almost everything you may need for editing wiki page. You probably already noticed there are lots of fast-editing tools on the bottom of editing-box, just like those in OpenOffice or MS Office. Use it as your wish, although you will get familiar with Wiki syntax and like to use it eventually.
- Change note bar: it is good to keep the track of the page!
- Tool bar: nice tools to help you easily edit page contents!
- Find/Replace bar: there are more information about this on EditPageHelp
Question: How does Quick Navigation box work?
1. Move you mouse pointer over the Quick Navigation box, you will see 4 options:
"Edit": works like View link.
"Clone": works like Edit link. The difference is that Edit link is to edit the exsiting wiki page, but Clone is to make a copy of current page (clone) and edit the new page!
"Find": to find the page in EIS Wiki with specific search string. Search string can be Page Name, word or sentence anywhere on the page. Just use it in straight way.
Question: How to start editing EIS Wiki page?
- Simply use Quick Navigation box to edit an exsiting page (with exsiting page name) or create a new page (new page name).
- Use Edit link on the page to edit an exsiting page.
- Creat a link in any page, save it and then click that link to edit it.
- On your browser's address bar, use URL:
Question: How does User Preference work?
1. Click Prefs link on wiki page:
2. User Preferences setting window:
warning: not all skins are working well with IE browser! I suggest keeping "PlainValina" skin if you are using IE, otherwise, you may enjoy different styles for EIS Wiki, if you are using Firefox (Desktop resoution 1280x1024 for best view).
Most other settings here are quite simple, just follow the text should be ok.
3. User Profile tab will be useful for you:
"Change Password": you can change your password on this tab. If you want to recover your passwrod please use left menu: "Lost Password" link. You will receive an email from EIS Wiki whcih contains your new random password, if you leave your email address when you register to EIS Wiki.